The new Form I-9 has been released by the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) as of November 14, 2016, and will be valid through August 31, 2019. The use of the new form will be required starting January 21, 2017. Once the January deadline has passed, previous versions will be invalid for new hires, re-hires, or re-verification.
Some of the benefits of the new form include:
- Clearer instructions for completion
- Electronically, “smart fields” are available to limit errors
- Ability to enter multiple preparers
- Dedicated areas for including additional information
- Specific instructions for each field
As an employer, it is important to ensure those who are responsible for the execution of the form are trained on the changes. Additional training may also be needed if your business chooses to access and complete forms electronically. Remember, employers must establish strict use of the new form by the deadline of January 21, 2017.