Updates by Kylie Artz, Shared Services Manager, Trüpp.
Don’t let anything fall through the cracks with your upcoming benefits renewal. Simplify your open enrollment with this helpful checklist.
- Establish effective communication and educational plan.
- Understand and educate employees on the scenarios of health care reform.
- Educate employees on plan changes and the potential impact of those changes.
- Highlight the value of your health and benefits program.
- Communicate early and often to the newly eligible.
- Make the most of your benefits dollars by surveying employees on their preferences and priorities.
- Consider adding a wellness program.
- Use open enrollment as an opportunity to reinforce wellness campaigns.
- Understand the “hidden” perks your benefits offer employees (EAP, travel assistance, etc.)
- Make voluntary benefits a big part of the message.
- Highlight cost-saving opportunities.
- Capture employee questions, communication preferences, and feedback to improve next year’s open enrollment process.
- Leverage a broker to provide general user feedback.
- Create easy access to benefits information.
- Leverage technology to increase employee accessibility and transition accountability to the
- Avoid the nightmare of paper forms by exploring online open enrollment programs and software.
- Utilize texting and social media platforms to deliver reminders and helpful information to employees.
Identify all the enrollment-related materials that your employees need or are required to have:
- Open enrollment schedule.
- Statement of current coverage.
- Plan-specific changes and rates.
- Plan-specific summaries.
- Open enrollment forms.
- Resource contact information.
- Other resources such as frequently asked questions, benefit choice comparisons, information on underutilized benefits, etc.
- Confirm that all forms are complete, accurate, and submitted.
- Be sure that all employees have received ID cards.
- Comply with all relevant health care reform requirements.
- Verify that all payroll deductions and employer contributions are properly adjusted in the payroll system.
- Distribute all required notices.
- Use as an opportunity to update addresses and beneficiary information of employees.