The new Form I-9 has been released by the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) as of January 31, 2020. Beginning May 01, 2020 employers must use the new Form I-9 (revision date 10/21/2019). Employers may continue to use the current version of the Form I-9 (revision date 07/17/2017) until April 30, 2020, but should start using the new one as soon as possible.
Some of the changes made to the new form include:
- An authorized representative may be any person an employer designates to complete and sign Form I-9 on its behalf but the employer remains liable for any violations in connection with the form or the verification process.
- Updated USCIS website addresses.
- Acceptable document clarifications.
- Updated process for requesting paper Form I-9.
- Updated Department of Homeland Security Privacy Notice.
As an employer, it is important to ensure those who are responsible for the execution of the form are trained on the changes. Additional training may also be needed if your business chooses to access and complete forms electronically. Remember, employers must establish strict use of the new form by the deadline of May 01, 2020.
Download new Form I-9 >>